National Nut Day is a public observance in celebration of all the good things about nuts. It is observed on October 22nd each year. It is promoted mostly in the United States and United Kingdom
Facts about National Nut Day
- No one really knows the origin of this day. Was it intended to celebrate all the nutty people and crazy behavior in the world? Or, was is a day dedicated to celebrating the edible ‘nut’ so many people eat?
- Peanuts are legumes, a member of the Pea family, not really nuts.
- There are about 540 peanuts in a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter.
- Nuts do not contain any cholesterol. In fact, nuts contain mono-unsaturated fatty acids especially oleic acid. It helps to lower LDL or ‘bad cholesterol’ and increases HDL or ‘good cholesterol’ level in the blood.
- Walnuts are considered one of the healthiest nuts. Walnuts contain the most omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts also contain antioxidants that promotes immune system heath.
National Nut Day Top Events and Things to Do
- Eat nuts for lunch, dinner or as a snack.
- Learn more about the heath benefits of nuts. Do a internet search for ‘health benefits of nuts’
- Try some of the lesser known nut butters: Almond Butter, Pecan Butter, Cashew and Hazel nut butter.
- Cook or bake something that uses nuts.