This all-time favourite is a perfect light meal now as the spring is upon us. Serve with some fresh baked bread and salad to make the meal complete!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (increase to 1 1/2 teaspoons if for a sweet recipe)
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 to 4 tbsp cold water
- Mix flour, salt and sugar. Either by hand or in mixer.
- Add the cubed butter. This will become a crumbly mixture. But make sure the butter is all well mixed.
- Then slowly add the water, use your hands to knead into a dough. But don’t overdo it, that will make your crust tough.
- Pre-bake the crust for about 15 minutes or until golden on 180 C. Be sure to prickle the crust with a fork, or place uncooked beans inside the crust to make sure it doesn’t rise.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices of crispy cooked bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups single cream, or you can do half and half with whipping cream or milk
- 140 g Gruyère cheese, finely grated or any other of your favourite cheese that melts
- generous grating of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beat the eggs, cream and milk together.
- Then add the cheese, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning.
- Stir in half the bacon and carefully pour the mixture into the baked pastry case.
- Scatter over the remaining bacon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the filling is set, starting to turn golden and slightly puffed up above the pastry case.
- Allow to cool a little before removing from the tin.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.